Monday, January 14, 2013

London Tube Art

This year is the 150th anniversary of the London Underground. Over the years there have been many Tube map pastiches - the most famous being Simon Patterson's The Great Bear.



I like this one - Dorian Lynsky's Music on the Tube map. You can read about how he made it by starting with 'a box of coloured crayons and a lot of swearing' here. And you can buy it here.





Recently, the Serco Prize for Illustration asked entrants to create illustrations on the theme Secret London. I prefer some of the entrants much more than the winners, like this one - Wild London by Pippa Curnick. You can find a lot of the other entrants at the brilliant London Transport Museum shop here:



I'm a sucker for vintage tube posters so I shall definitely be going along to Poster Art 150 – London Underground’s Greatest Designs which opens on 15th Feb.

1 comment:

  1. I know someone who'd go there with you. We've got a book on the tube maps of the world standing here. Will have to make do with that instead.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!